Introduction Of A New Plastic Packaging TaxMember News
Are you aware of the new tax that applies to plastic packaging produced in, or imported into, the UK that does not contain at least 30% recycled plastic?
The new tax will come into effect from April 2022 and will affect UK producers of plastic packaging, importers of plastic packaging, business customers of producers and importers of plastic packaging, and consumers who buy goods in plastic packaging in the UK.
At a glance
- Plastic Packaging Tax is due to take effect from 2022.
- The tax will be £200 per tonne (apportionment for part thereof).
- The tax applies to plastic packaging manufactured in or imported into the UK containing less than 30% recycled plastic.
- It applies to business who manufacture or import plastic packaging component or imports packaged goods into the UK.
- ‘Small operators’ who manufacture or import less than 10 tonnes of plastic packaging in a 12-month period are exempted from the charge.
This may be the start of a clear economic incentive for manufacturers to use recycled material in the production of plastic packaging, or for businesses to use alternative packaging techniques and products that do not involve the use of such materials.
For more information visit gov.uk
Recycling VCI/VpCI® corrosion protection film
Corrosion protection VCI/VpCI® polymer film is used in many applications and industries, and when recycling the film back to its original source there are strict guidelines. For film manufacturers to accept used VCI/VpCI® film and recycle it they must adhere to the following:
- Recycle the film in significant quantities;
- Ensure the film is uncontaminated and free from any oils;
- Ensure the films you are recycling are of the same colour;
- Only receive used film manufactured by the same company and not a competitors VCI/VpCI® material.
Sustainable corrosion protection film solutions
There are some new innovative products on the market such as Cortec’s Eco-Corr® Biodegradable VpCI® Film, and Eco-Corr Film® that will disintegrate into carbon dioxide and water within 2-3 months in a commercial composting environment. Eco Film® – a BPI certified compostable film (BPI #890974) is also designed to replace traditional non-degradable films such as low density and high-density polyethylene.
The ultimate sustainable solution – EnviroRinse™
As a rinse solution, EnviroRinse™ further reduces the use of plastic film (and tax charges) required in the packaging stage as it eliminates the need for protection film while also providing excellent multi-metal corrosion protection for up to two years during transportation and indoor storage. Formulated with sustainable raw materials, EnviroRinse™ is an environmentally friendly and biodegradable alternative to petroleum derived products.